Child care is a critical component to healthy communities. Adequate, affordable child care allows parents to feel confident their child is being nurtured in a safe environment and enables them to be more productive at work and absent less. Child care is an economic driver. When a community has child care available it is able to recruit and retain businesses, employees, and families.
A child care crisis is occurring in Iowa, including Black Hawk County. The waiting lists are in the thousands and it is impacting families and our economy.
- Approximately 13,000 children in Black Hawk County are not having their child care needs met.
- 26% of employers identify child care as a barrier to employee retention.
- In Black Hawk County, 21,324 children are under the age of 12, and there are only 7,686 child care space available countywide.
Actions for Impact
The Black Hawk County Child Care Coalition was formed in 2017, with CFNEIA President & CEO, Kaye Englin, acting as a lead member. The Community Foundation hosted meetings in May 2018, gathering input from child care providers and community members. The Coalition is a collaboration of nearly 40 individuals from the child care, nonprofit, education, and business sectors. The group is meeting monthly with sub-committees focused on and researching how to address five key areas to help alleviate child care needs in Black Hawk County.
- Business and Child Care: Building and Expanding Solutions
- Child Care and Entrepreneurs
- Community College and Child Care
- Child Care Mentors
- Non-English Speaking Community
What You Can Do
- Stay informed on the issues by following the CFNEIA facebook page and checking the news section of our website.
- Invest in the Community Foundation's strategic initiatives by donating to the CFNEIA Community Initiatives Fund.
Black Hawk County Child Care Coalition Resources
Black Hawk County Child Care Coalition Information Sheet and Success Stories
Iowa Child Care Economies 2019 Fact Sheet
Iowa Child Care Economies Talking Points
Iowa Women's Foundation Child Care for Business Infographic
Iowa Women's Foundation Building Child Care Solutions
Cedar Valley Alliance and Chamber 2018 Employer Child Care Survey Results
Child Care Industry Economic & Job Impact
In the News
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, Day care shortage hampers economy
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, Multi-generational: Friendship Village moving into child-care business
KWWL, Friendship Village prepares to open new child care facility