Buchanan County Community Foundation Distributes Nearly $160,000 to Local Nonprofit Organizations
Buchanan County Community Foundation
July 27, 2023
The Buchanan County Community Foundation (BCCF) held its 2023 grant awards celebration at the Independence Public Library in Independence on July 26, announcing the distribution of $159,152.42 to 18 projects of organizations serving Buchanan County through its 2023 grant cycle.
“The Buchanan County Community Foundation is proud to support the work of our local nonprofits through impactful grantmaking to strengthen Buchanan County communities,” said Ben Stanford, chair of the BCCF committee.
The grant recipient organizations, project each grant will fund and grant amounts are listed below by funding area.
Arts & Culture
- Brandon/Jefferson Township Historical Society, Brandon State Savings Bank Building, $10,000
- Steve Brown Art Center, Buchanan County Art Programming, $3,500
- Buchanan County, Sheriff's Office - Drone Program Expansion, $4,334
- City of Independence, Fire Department - Saw Project, $6,600
- City of Independence, Parks & Rec Department - Complex Infield Turf, $20,000
- City of Jesup, Liberty Volunteer Park Phase 2 Construction, $20,000
- Independence Public Library Foundation, Community Kiosk and Interactive Wall, $6,360
- Monti Community Center, Ceiling and Lights, $10,000
- Westburg Township, Westburg Township Firetruck Purchase, $10,000
Education & Youth Development
- Jesup Community School District, All Kids Bike Jesup, $3,000
- Junior Achievement of Eastern Iowa, Creating Boundless Possibilities for Students, $3,084
Environment & Animal Welfare
- Buchanan County, Conservation - Learning & Discovery Trail, $20,000
- Wildthunder Wildlife & Animal Rehabilitation & Sanctuary, Dog Room Addition, $10,000
- Four Oaks Children and Family Services, Holistic Environment for Youth to Heal, $5,000
- Iowa Dental Foundation, Iowa Mission of Mercy Free Dental Clinic, $5,000
- Families Helping Families of Iowa, Program Support for Buchanan County Foster Youth, $3,000
- Northeast Iowa Food Bank, Feeding Communities, $12,000
- Operation Threshold, Buchanan County Family Stability Programming, $7,274.42
Decisions on grant awards are determined by a local committee, which consists of volunteers from Buchanan County. Committee members include Mitchell Barnett, Brad Bleichner, Nate Clayberg, Whitney Cook, Mary Donlea, Denise Lehman, Beth Ownby, Rob Ratchford, Ben Stanford (chair) and Kristy Ward.
Grants are awarded through BCCF’s competitive grant process to projects in the program areas of arts and culture, community betterment, education and youth development, environment and animal welfare, health and human service. Grant applicants must be a 501(c)(3) designated organization or government entity serving Buchanan County in order to be considered for funding. More information about the BCCF can be found at www.buchananccf.org.