The Director of Development position is responsible for the asset development and outreach strategies of Black Hawk County and assigned Affiliate Community Foundations. This position plays a major role in educating community leaders and building donor relationship with each community. This position works closely with the President/CEO to position the Foundation with prospective donors; identify, cultivate, solicit and steward relationships with potential donors; and provide professional advisor outreach in order to build endowment giving. The Director of Development is also responsible for collaborating with the President/CEO to develop and implement a strategy and overall development plan for Black Hawk County and assigned Affiliate Community Foundations and collaborate with the Affiliate Development Director to leverage and maximize efforts to increase the Foundation’s advancement.
Overall Development Planning:
- Work closely with the President/CEO in creating an overall vision for the development of Black Hawk County and assigned Affiliate Community Foundation
- Make recommendations to the President/CEO regarding new leadership initiatives and community outreach.
- Work with the President/CEO to develop strategies to accelerate growth of assets and donors.
- Collaborate and report required information to the President/CEO for the Advancement Oversight Committee agenda.
Donor Support and Education:
- Act as personal contact and liaison for Black Hawk County and assigned Affiliate Community Foundation donor requests, as well as conduct pro-active outreach to them.
- Develop a systematic process for connecting donors to their philanthropic interests, including but not limited to tracking past grant recommendations, sending letters/emails, making phone calls, etc.
- Collaborate with President/CEO in devising and implementing strategies to increase engagement of donors and to assure complete donor satisfaction.
- Assist with planning and executing donor appreciation events; provide follow up and reporting as appropriate.
- Design and implement effective education programs to increase donor awareness of vital and emerging Black Hawk county community needs.
- Assist the Director of Marketing and Communications with key donor information in order to help with key communications pieces such as mailings to donors, prospective donors, professional advisors, newsletters, and other special event publications as needed.
- Assemble and maintain information about potential and existing donors in the Foundation database.
- Develop and maintain the Foundation’s Legacy Society through the promotion of planned giving.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base of the various fund types, and their associated tax benefits, bywhich donors may contribute to the Foundation.
- Collaborate with the President/CEO to implement strategies to increase the Women’s Fund endowment and oversee the Women for Good program.
- Partner with legislators and advocate for regulatory changes that affect charitable giving.
Professional Advisor Education:
- Plan, develop, and implement continuing education events for professional advisors (including, but not limited to Fall and Spring Professional Advisor luncheons) for Black Hawk County.
- Support and expand relationships with legal, accounting, investment, and other professional advisors within Black Hawk County and assigned Affiliate Community Foundations, or as requested by the President/CEO.
- Assemble and maintain information about professional advisors in the Foundation database.
- Develop additional ways to expand the number of professional advisors connected to the Foundation and develop strategies to generate increased referrals to establish charitable funds.
- Participate in appropriate local and national industry groups to promote the Foundation and its services and to stay knowledgeable of the industry’s best developmental practices (i.e. Mid-Iowa Planned Giving Council, Partners in Philanthropic Planning, Black Hawk Estate Planning Council)Skills/
- Professional fundraising experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least four years of experience in the nonprofit or financial services industry with special emphasis on fundraising, marketing and communications, or customer relations
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills
- Work style characterized by self-motivation, driven leader, passion for philanthropy
- Committed to confidentiality, effectiveness, and efficiency
- Flexibility within a changing and sometimes stressful environments
- Commitment and ability to work both independently and as part of strong team
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and demonstrated respect for its constituents
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Willingness to travel
Click the button below to apply. Please make sure to upload your cover letter and resume.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Travel: 50% travel is expected for this position.