2021 Scholarship Process Is Now Closed
The Mother Moon Service Scholarship is awarded annually to one junior from each Black Hawk County high school who has given of themselves through community service. Students are selected in the spring of their junior year, and then during their senior year, they serve on a service club to promote and participate in community service. The $1,000 scholarship checks are sent to the students' college or university in the fall of their first year. All students who qualify for the Mother Moon Service Scholarship will automatically be selected as a Top Teen at the Mayor's Top Teen Awards Ceremony in April each year.
Complete details about the 2022 application process will be posted on January 10, 2022.
About Mother Moon
Mother Moon, as all who knew her called her, was born in 1880 and died in 1956. She lived most of her life in Macomb, Illinois, but her impact on the lives of others reached far beyond this little town. She raised 10 children of her own in addition to many others who felt that she had been like a mother to them. One man who grew up as one of her extra children said, "God used Mother Moon to put His arms around a lot of people." Many lives were shaped and enriched by her quiet heart. Hers was truly a successful life.
Service Above Self
Insights on the power of service from past Mother Moon Scholarship Recipient, Nick Rafferty.
To be eligible for the Mother Moon Service Scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a junior at one of the following high schools: Cedar Falls, Columbus, Don Bosco, Dunkerton, Expo Alternative, Hudson, Union, Valley Lutheran, Waterloo Christian, Waterloo East, and Waterloo West.
- Plan to attend an accredited university, college, vocational technical school or other post-secondary institution upon graduation from high school.
- Be a good example and role model for others.
- Demonstrate an attitude of sharing and caring by giving freely of their time and talent in service to others in their community.
- Have contributed at least 100 hours of service to their community within a 12-month period.
- Complete an account in the Foundation’s Scholarship Site.
- Click “Apply” at the top of the page and then find the Mother Moon Service Scholarship; click the blue “Apply” button to begin working on it.
- The deadline to submit is 11:59 p.m. on March 10, 2021.
- Be prepared! The application requires the following details: Basic contact and academic information, details about your volunteer experience, a photo of you volunteering, and two letters of recommendation.
- If you are having difficulty with your application, please see our FAQ list. Also, please note that some of the details here are for seniors applying in the Common Application, not the Mother Moon Service Scholarship.
For questions, please email Tom Wickersham, Program Director, or call 319-243-1356.